The Life & Legacy of Bernard Ashcraft



There comes a moment when each of us must ask ourselves, am I an observer or am I a witness? An observer watches, passively, consuming events from the sidelines as if they were an isolated island. A witness is active and affirming, participating in the world as it exists to provide information in order to create understanding. I choose to be a witness.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bernard Ashcraft has been a drum major for social and economic justice for over 50 years. First, as a navy corpsman protesting racism in the military, then as a local leader in San Diego during the Civil Rights Movement before moving to the Bay Area in the mid-90s to continue his work building more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizations across the socio-political spectrum. He has made extraordinary achievements tackling disparities in public/private employment contracts for BIPOC workers and virulent bigotry from anti-Black vandalism to national hate groups like the KKK.

In San Leandro, he remains a driving force for expanding affordable housing for those struggling against the high cost of living, improving healthcare outcomes for marginalized communities, as well as implementing police reform that keeps all of us safe. While it would be difficult to capture every detail of the work he has done, the accolades he has received from elected officials, community-based organizations, and academia speak to a life dedicated to public service at great personal cost.

On a personal level, Bernard has been my mentor in community organizing, advocacy, and activism almost since the moment I moved to San Leandro over 6 years ago. He has taught me the value of listening to others, having the courage of my convictions, leading movements based on shared values, and what it truly means to care about other people.

At the same time, I recognize that there are times when he has had arguments with others, when he has not acted like his best self and said hurtful things. I have seen that he's a human, just like the rest of us, capable of mistakes and missteps that require apologies and amends. Some of those people have come forward to share their stories. Many of them are people I respect and admire. To them, I say this: I hear you and I am sorry those things happened to you.

Yet, I believe there's a difference between legitimate disagreement and petty personal or political grievances. I have seen real conflicts between Bernard and other BIPOC leaders on how to address discrimination subverted by anti-Black racial resentment to undermine the broad-based movement in San Leandro to fight systemic racism. I have seen how regressives in our community attack Bernard as another avenue for tearing down certain liberal and progressive city council members they don't like. I have witnessed the mess that comes from separating the facts of those who were there from the lies spread by others solely seeking payback, profit, or power.

"I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood." — Audre Lorde

I choose to listen to the wisdom of elders and ancestors. I choose to speak up, speak out, and share these truths that I hope are true for you too. This isn't about whose name does or does not go on a building. (Although, taking the name of a racist local politician off an existing building seems like common sense and Bernard was the first to say so!) This is about recognizing that we are all imperfect works in progress and accepting our failures so that we can try again. This is about rejecting bad-faith smear campaigns that want to dismantle the progress we have made. This is about the legacy of an imperfect man who has spent decades building a better world for all of us.

Bernard Ashcraft is a drum major for social and economic justice, warts and all. He is a figure that I am especially proud to celebrate during this Black History Month. I am thankful that we have someone like him in San Leandro fighting to ensure all of us have access to justice and equal opportunity to succeed.
Take note and take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Leandro Crime Rates: What's Happening?

A Brief History of Zionism

HOPE for Housing in San Leandro